Mid-America Overseas was founded in Chicago in 1976 by Burkard M. Schmitt. From our origins as an ocean freight forwarder, MAO has evolved and expanded into a global transportation and logistics provider, supported by loyal and hard-working employees.
Global ocean transportation is still an important element in the complete scope of services MAO provides — which today includes air and ocean transportation, customs brokerage, warehousing and distribution, and related MIS services, all supervised via a single, coordinated support system.
Many of the services provided by MAO are regulated by federal government agencies. Licenses to operate have been granted by:
- US Department of Homeland Security as Customs Broker – LC9172 & Permit #99-00030
- U.S. Federal Maritime Commission – Freight Forwarder LC1872F
- NVO Common Carrier – LC12341N
- DOT/ FMCSA Approved – MC 266210
- TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Approved
- International Air Transport Association (IATA) as Agents – 01-1-0418/011
- MAO (Shanghai) Licensed to Operate as an International Freight Forwarding and Logistics Company in China
- US EPA SmartWay Partner Since 2011
Facts & Figures
- 37 Offices (18 in the United States and 19 Overseas)
- 450,000 Square Feet of Customs Bonded Warehousing Facilities
- 400+ Employees
- 25+ US Licensed Customs Brokers